Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Kids Craft #1: "God's Eye"

The "God's Eye" (or Ojo de Dios as it was originally known) craft can be dated back to ancient Mexico.  It was intended to look over others and to bring good luck.


Materials:
  - scissors
  - yarn (variety of colors)
  - small twigs/popsicle sticks
  - a hot glue gun and hot glue sticks (an adult
     must do these steps!)


Steps:

1.) Place a small dot of hot glue in the center of one of the sticks.  Place the center of the second stick directly onto the spot of glue in the form of a cross (or a plus sign).





2.) Tie the end of a strand of yarn diagonally across the center of the popsicle sticks.










3.) Rotating the sticks clockwise, spin the long end of the yarn across the center of the sticks and then around the back of each end of the stick.









4.) Repeat step 3 until you want to change the color of your yarn.  To change the colors, double knot the ends of two different color strings.  Snip the short end of the yarn until about 2 centimeters are left.  From here, you may again continue step 3.






5.) When you are ready to end your project, place a small dot of hot glue onto the back end of the stick and weave until the string lands on top of the glue.

6.) When the glue is dry, cut the end of the yarn as close to the glued spot as possible.







3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex! Kristen here commenting :)

    Your about me section was extremely clear and explained exactly why you are doing this blog. It shows your enthusiasm for the topic and a bit of history about yourself and time at summer camp. Excellent

    Your description of the blog is also very focused. I appreciate how you mention that adults can and should participate and that they may be needed during some of these projects. I would maybe try to find a way to make your blog a bit more unique though - if you can. Maybe for the next post, make it something STRICTLY a child could do? Or something you made up and is rare?

    I loved this first post by the way. I remember doing this project in my kindergarten class way back when. Classic! Because of this post, I am eager to see what else I could relearn or see what else I could try that is new.

    Great Job!!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexandra,

    Your About Me section ties in nicely with your blog. You give a history (camp) which shows the origins of your affinity for crafts and as a teacher, a reason why crafts will be a big part of your future. I unfortunately have no talent or interest in crafting for myself, but your site seems like a good potential source for ideas for people with children or anyone whose work entails interaction with children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About me: Your about me shows exactly who you are and why you are writing this blog. I love how your share your story and explain when your interest in crafts began.

    Description: This section sums up the blog in an informative, and concise way. I know exactly what you will be writing about because you specifically say it. I also like how you encourage people to leave comments with any suggestions.

    First post: I like how you show the step-by-step process of how to make the "God's Eye." This will make it easy for kids to follow the instructions. Your descriptions are the perfect length. This post made me interested in reading your other posts, and maybe even trying a few crafts!

    ReplyDelete